PATH IS THE LEADER IN GLOBAL HEALTH INNOVATION.
PATH is relentlessly focused on accelerating innovation and taking it to scale. We are constantly pursuing and creating new ways to address global health needs that improve lives and are affordable to communities. We’re fiercely driven because we’ve seen innovation bring the hope of a healthy future into the world’s poorest places.
Through experience and creativity, we make sure promising health solutions reach the people who need them—and we dismantle every barrier to progress. We mobilize cross-sector partnerships that extend our reach, making lifesaving vaccines and drug treatments, pioneering diagnostics and health devices, and transformative strategies accessible at a massive scale. We’ve built a network of global partners, and we have a track record of changing hundreds of millions of lives.
HOW WE’VE BEEN HELPING TO CHANGE
MILLIONS OF LIVES.
We’ve been driving transformative innovation for 40 years. Slowing is not part of the plan; reaching more people with innovations like these is.
- Groundbreaking advances in malaria. We helped develop a sustainable treatment for malaria: semisynthetic artemisinin. Artemisinin from the wormwood plant has been used to treat malaria for centuries in China. But this volatile crop has a limited growing region. Semisynthetic artemisinin is a stable alternative that is now being made available reliably around the world, with about 51 million doses already sent to 23 countries in Africa.
- A new vaccine against meningitis A. For more than a century, meningitis has plagued sub-Saharan Africa, inducing waves of epidemics. PATH was instrumental in developing, testing, and introducing MenAfriVac®, a powerful vaccine that has helped more than 235 million Africans remain free of this devastating illness.
- A path to better nutrition. Nutritional deficiencies are a quiet threat to health in poorer nations. PATH developed a technology to fortify rice, which is now being used by global rice producers. Our Ultra Rice® technology has reached more than 3 million people in Brazil alone and is giving millions of children the critical vitamins and minerals they need to grow up strong.
- Family planning, reimagined. The opportunity to choose the size of one’s family helps couples achieve greater economic stability and live lives full of hope and possibility. PATH helped devise and test Sayana® Press, a self-injectable lower-dose formula of hormonal contraceptive Depo-Provera®, and design a more comfortable, single-sized Caya® diaphragm for women. These new family planning options are reaching millions of women in the developing world.
- A game changer for vaccination safety. Reuse of syringes causes most immunization-related infections in the developing world. PATH developed a syringe that is automatically disabled after a single use. Our SoloShot™ technology has been used to safely deliver more than 6.7 billion vaccinations.
Find out more about PATH at www.path.org.
MenAfriVac is a registered trademark of Serum Institute of India Ltd. Ultra Rice is a registered trademark of Bon Dente International, Inc., in the United States. Sayana Press and Depo-Provera are registered trademarks of Pfizer Inc. SoloShot is a trademark of BD.
Photos: PATH/Aaron Joel Santos